Event Management Tender Notice for SANEF Nat Nakasa Awards and Gala Dinner / SANEF Annual Fundraising Dinner
The South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF) is one of the most influential groupings in South Africa. It consists of title editors and senior journalists operating in print, broadcasting and digital mainstream at national as well as some regional and community media levels. It also serves media trainers and academics from major journalism departments and training institutes in the country.
SANEF’s vision is to promote the quality and ethics of journalism, to reflect the diversity of South Africa, and to champion freedom of expression.
Event Management Services
SANEF would like to invite event management companies and individuals to bid to manage one or both the following events:
Event #1: Nat Nakasa Award and Gala Dinner
Nat Nakasa was a prominent South African journalist and writer who died in exile in 1965. The annual Nat Nakasa award is awarded for courageous and brave journalism. The award recognises any media practitioner – journalist, editor, manager or owner – who has:
- Shown integrity and reported fearlessly;
- Displayed a commitment to serve the people of South Africa;
- Tenaciously striven to maintain a publication or other medium despite significant obstacles;
- Resisted any censorship; and
- Shown courage in making information available to the SA public.
The winner is selected by a jury on the basis of nominations submitted by the public.
The Nat Nakasa Award & Gala Dinner is scheduled for 20 June 2020 in Johannesburg. The award and the gala dinner are kindly sponsored by Sanlam. The selection of journalists for the awards will be organised by SANEF. Approximately 100 people are expected to attend.
Event #2: SANEF Fundraising Dinner
In 2016 SANEF decided to hold an annual fundraising dinner for the purpose of mobilising financial resources for SANEF’s media legal defence fund. In 2017 SANEF’s Annual Fundraising dinner coincided with the commemoration of the 40th anniversary of Black Wednesday. Annually, SANEF commemorates Black Wednesday to emphasise the importance of media freedom and reflect on the fateful day of 19 October 1977, when the apartheid state banned several newspapers accused of being aligned with the black consciousness movement and ideology.
The Sanef Annual Fundraising Dinner is scheduled for Friday 16 October 2020 in Johannesburg. A prominent South African or international speaker will be invited to address the event. Different categories of sponsors need to be secured. The event company will be paid a commission of 10% on all funding raised.
Approximately 200 people attend this event.
Prospective companies and individuals should submit a document that contains the following:
- Name of company/individual and contact details including company registration and ID numbers of representatives;
- Profile and references;
- Outline of how the company/individual would approach the Nat Nakasa Award and Gala dinner (event concept/theme including entertainment and decorations; proposed venues and menus, detailed budget); and or
- Outline of how the company/individual would approach the SANEF Fundraising Gala Dinner (event concept/theme including entertainment and decorations; proposed menus and venues; budget and proposals for fundraising).
Bidders can apply for either one or both events.
Shortlisted bidders will be asked to present to the SANEF management team.
Date of final submission: 18 February 2020
Contact details for submission:
Office Administrator, South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF)
Please note the decision of the SANEF Management Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into with unsuccessful bidders.