15 February 2023
CALL FOR TENDER: ORGANISING ANNUAL SANEF FUNDRAISER GALA DINNER 2023
The South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF) hereby invites event management companies and individuals to bid to manage the Annual SANEF Fundraiser Gala Dinner event scheduled for 20th October 2023.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: close of business, Tuesday 28 February 2023
Event Management Tender for:
- Annual SANEF Fundraiser Gala Dinner: 20 October 2023
The South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF) is the most influential media freedom advocacy grouping in South Africa. It consists of editors and senior journalists operating in print, broadcasting, and digital mainstream at national, regional and community media levels. It also serves media trainers and academics from major journalism departments and training institutes in the country.
Since 2016, SANEF decided to hold an annual fundraising gala dinner to commemorate Black Wednesday and for the purpose of mobilising financial resources for SANEF’s media legal defence fund. SANEF commemorates Black Wednesday to emphasise the importance of media freedom and reflect on the fateful day of 19 October 1977 when the apartheid state banned several newspapers accused of being aligned with the black consciousness movement and ideology.
This year’s Gala Dinner is scheduled for 20th October 2023 in Johannesburg. A prominent South African or international speaker will be invited to address the event.
SANEF’s vision is to promote the quality and ethics of journalism, to reflect the diversity of South Africa, and to champion freedom of expression.
Annual Fundraiser Gala Dinner: October 2023
Different categories of sponsors need to be secured. The event company will be paid a commission of 10% on all new funding it has raised noting that SANEF members are also encouraged to separately solicit funding for the organisation.
We would like bid companies to present plans: –
- Outlining the innovative theme for the gala dinner
- Proposed venue with creative plans to make the experience of attendees exciting and memorable.
- A strategy to use the evening to promote SANEF’s work and achievements.
- A physical gala dinner event for 200 representatives of sponsors, donors, and media freedom partners. Have a plan as an option of an exciting and innovative online event as a potential Plan B should COVID-19 protocols resurface.
- Demonstrate the ability to promote the event and highlight its purpose and impact on the development and protection of media freedom via social media, and other media platforms, including the build-up towards the event.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and capacity to approach reputable pro-media freedom companies and institutions to solicit funding support for SANEF’s work.
- Demonstrate innovation and creativity to accommodate potential contributions and support for SANEF’s fundraiser efforts from SMEs.
Submitting a tender for the event
Prospective bidders may submit its tender proposing:
The tender document(s) must contain the following:
- Name of bidder and contact details including company registration and names and ID numbers of representatives.
- Three references (name, phone and email, context in which you have worked together).
- Outline how the bidder would approach the Fundraising Gala Dinner in terms of:
- Event concept.
- Theme, including entertainment and decorations.
- Proposed venues and menus appropriate for the stature of the event.
- Detailed budget.
- Include concrete proposals for using this event as a means of fundraising for and promotion of SANEF norms and standards.
- Shortlisted bidders will be asked to present to the SANEF Management team.
- Date for submission: close of business, Monday 20 February 2023
- Submit your tender(s) to SANEF Administrator Ms Dzudzie Netshisaulu email: [email protected].
Please note the decision of the SANEF Management Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into with unsuccessful bidders.
Note to Editors: The South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF) is a non-profit organisation whose members are editors, senior journalists, and journalism trainers from all areas of the South African media. We are committed to championing South Africa’s hard-won freedom of expression and promoting quality, ethics, and diversity in the South African media. We promote excellence in journalism through fighting for media freedom, writing policy submissions, research and education and training programmes. SANEF is not a union.