Now Reading:
Sanef statement on Makhudu Sefara’s resignation as editor of The Star
Full Article 2 minutes read

Sanef statement on Makhudu Sefara’s resignation as editor of The Star

Media Statement: 1 July 2014
The South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) is shocked at the sudden resignation of Makhudu Sefara as editor of The Star. 

Sefara’s departure was announced by Tony Howard, Independent Newspapers’ deputy executive chairman, who said in a statement that the company and Sefara could not agree on how best to use Sefara’s talents further in the company. This led to what Howard described as an “amicable and mutually agreed upon” separation. He said both the company and Sefara would not comment further.

Without such further explanation, the terse statement will fuel speculation about what the disagreement in utilising Sefara’s skills really means. Sanef is not privy to the details of the issues that brought this sudden resignation by Sefara and can only respect the wishes of the two parties in the matter.

Sefara was re-elected unanimously as deputy chairman of Sanef at its Annual General Meeting in Cape Town on June 20. He previously held the position of Chairman of the Media freedom Sub Committee. He was named editor of the year at the 2014 National Standard Bank Sikuvile Awards.

Sefara remains deputy chairman of Sanef. We appreciate his commitment to continue to champion all that which the organisation stands for, including media freedom and journalistic integrity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Input your search keywords and press Enter.