The South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF) hereby invites event management companies and individuals to bid to manage the Standard Bank Sikuvile Journalism Awards processes up to the awards gala event on Saturday 24 June 2023. This would be SANEF’s second year of managing the awards since they were established in 2012.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: close of business, Friday 17 March 2023
SANEF is the most influential media freedom advocacy grouping in South Africa. Our members are veteran founding editors, current title editors, senior editors and journalists working in print, broadcasting, and digital mainstream at national, regional and community media levels. It also serves media trainers and academics from major journalism departments and training institutions across the country.
SANEF’s vision is to promote quality and ethical journalism across all media platforms, while reflecting SA’s diversity, and to champion freedom of expression. The awards are planned to be the national flagship of ethical and credible journalism awards across the media platforms which is Print, Digital, Radio and TV.
The awards see the best of the best across various journalistic platforms being benchmarked against their peers by a panel of top quality and highly reputable and credible judges.
Over the years, the Standard Bank Sikuvile Awards have become one of the key highlights in journalism awards that encourages and recognises excellent journalistic work in the country.
Previously called the Mondi Shanduka Newspaper Awards (MSNA), in recent years the awards have become known as the Standard Bank Sikuvile Journalism Awards. The awards sponsor Standard Bank has contracted SANEF to oversee the organisation of the awards.
The Awards event will be attended by SANEF leadership and members, Standard Bank’s executives, senior journalists, editors, publishers, executives from the advertising, PR/marketing, and media agencies as well as clients and service providers to the entire news media industry.
Awards and Event Management Services
SANEF is seeking bidders to help it proudly bring the awards by:
- Managing the process and deliver within strict timelines a fair and transparent awards process from the invitation for applications across various categories in April to the closing date, the commencement of judging and completion, sourcing of trophies and certificates to the organising and staging of the gala dinner.
- It also involves the innovative processes of the conceptualisation of a theme, the promotion of the theme and the awards throughout the planned phases to the broader media fraternity without prejudice to any media platform.
- Bidder must demonstrate capability to use social media and access media platforms for the promotion of the awards process throughout the phases.
- Running a judging secretariat ensuring all the entries are sorted, recorded, doing qualification checks, and checking that information is complete. They should arrange packages for the judges to access information easily and quickly.
- Work closely with the SANEF office in ensuring the judging process is resourced, efficient and smoothly run.
- Facilitate the communication with shortlisted candidates.
- Source trophies and certificates.
- Plan to reach a wide audience using short video clips, snippets of nominees, finalists, and winners.
Awards Event Management
- The proposal must carefully outline how the company/individual would creatively approach the Sikuvile Journalism Award Gala dinner event.
- The event concept/theme should reflect highlights of SANEF activities and priorities for the year, i.e.: media freedom, journalism sustainability, journalism wellness and safety, training of journalists, etc, as reflected on the Sanef website
- Present proposed venues, menus, entertainment and decorations.
The tender documentation must contain the following and bidders will be scored accordingly:
- Name of bidder and contact details.
- Company registration details, company profile and diversity information.
- Information on the bidder’s experience in running awards related events – please provide examples and information of journalism or other media related awards processes and events organised in the recent past, including contact details for reference purposes.
- Names and ID numbers of project team leaders, and their relevant experience in running such events.
- The bidder must outline how they would approach the project by providing concrete proposals on the following:
- Managing the judging process, including the processes and systems for applications and judging to facilitate a fair and transparent adjudication, supporting the judging process, facilitating compensation of the judges and related assistance.
- Staging the awards ceremony, including the awards production, proposed theme, entertainment and decorations.
- Publicity, marketing and communications plan to popularise and stimulate interest in entering the awards and the awards event.
- Proposed venues and menus appropriate for the stature of the event.
- An itemised budget covering all the activities listed in the proposal.
- Shortlisted bidders will be asked to compile a slide deck for presentation to the SANEF Management team.
- Date for submission: close of business, Friday 17 March 2023
- Submit your tender(s) to SANEF Administrator Ms Dzudzie Netshisaulu email: [email protected].
Please note the decision of the SANEF Management Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into with unsuccessful bidders.