Event Management Tender for two separate events:
- Virtual/ physical SANEF Nat Nakasa Award: August 2021
- Virtual/ physical 25 Year Anniversary Fundraising Gala Dinner: October 2021
The South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF) is the most influential media freedom advocacy grouping in South Africa. It consists of editors and senior journalists operating in print, broadcasting and digital mainstream at national, regional and community media levels. It also serves media trainers and academics from major journalism departments and training institutes in the country.
SANEF’s vision is to promote the quality and ethics of journalism, to reflect the diversity of South Africa, and to champion freedom of expression.
Event management services
SANEF would like to invite event management companies and individuals to bid to manage one or both of the following events:
Event #1: Nat Nakasa Award: August 2021
Nat Nakasa was a prominent South African journalist and writer who died in exile in 1965. The annual Nat Nakasa Award is awarded for courageous and brave journalism. The Award recognises any media practitioner – journalist, editor, manager or owner who has:
- Shown integrity and reported fearlessly.
- Displayed a commitment to serve the people of South Africa.
- Tenaciously striven to maintain a publication or other medium despite significant obstacles.
- Resisted any censorship.
- Shown courage in making information available to the SA public.
The winner is selected by a jury based on nominations submitted by the public.
The Nat Nakasa Award was previously a gala dinner event. Due to the COVID-19 crisis last year it was held virtually and the launch of the winner – which was the media industry as a whole – was announced with the flighting of a documentary on SA media’s coronavirus coverage. This year the event which will require innovation and creativity to ensure widespread and active participation is scheduled for August 2021. The award is kindly sponsored by Sanlam. The selection of journalists for the awards will be adjudicated by a panel of media stalwarts.
We would like bid companies to give us two options – a physical gala dinner event for 100 people and also the option of an exciting and innovative online event (with entertainment options). We will decide closer to the time as to which option is preferable.
Event #2: 25 Year Anniversary Fundraising Gala Dinner: October 2021
In 2016 SANEF decided to hold an annual fundraising gala dinner to commemorate Black Wednesday and for the purpose of mobilising financial resources for SANEF’s media legal defence fund. SANEF commemorates Black Wednesday to emphasise the importance of media freedom and reflect on the fateful day of 19 October 1977 when the apartheid state banned several newspapers accused of being aligned with the black consciousness movement and ideology.
This year’s 25 Year Anniversary Fundraising Gala Dinner is scheduled for October 2021 in Johannesburg. A prominent South African or international speaker will be invited to address the event. Different categories of sponsors need to be secured. The event company will be paid a commission of 10% on all funding raised.
We would like bid companies to give us two options – a physical gala dinner event for 200 people and also the option of an exciting and innovative online event (with entertainment options). We will decide closer to the time as to which option is preferable.
Submitting a tender for one or both events
Prospective companies and individuals (bidders) may tender for one or both events. If bidders choose to tender for both events then two separate tenders must be submitted.
The tender document(s) must contain the following:
- Name of bidder and contact details including company registration and names and ID numbers of representatives.
- Three references (name, phone and email, context in which you have worked together).
- Outline how the bidder would approach the Nat Nakasa Award and/or Fundraising Gala Dinner in terms of:
- Event concept.
- Theme, including entertainment and decorations.
- Proposed venues and menus (as appropriate).
- Detailed budget.
Any tender submitted for the Fundraising Gala Dinner must also include concrete proposals for using this event as a means of fundraising for SANEF.
- Shortlisted bidders will be asked to present to the SANEF Management team.
- Date for submission: end of business on 30 April 2021.
- Submit your tender(s) to [email protected].
Please note the decision of the SANEF Management Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into with unsuccessful bidders.