Entries for this year’s edition of the Standard Bank Sikuvile Journalism Awards, brought to you by South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF), are now open.
The Awards will close for entries on 25 May, with no extension and winners will be announced at an event on Saturday, 24 June at The Venue, Melrose Arch, Gauteng.
This is the second year SANEF is organising the awards. They were previously organised by PDMSA, now the Publishers’ Support Services.
The theme of the Awards this year is “Journalism: In the Face of Public LIE ability. When seeing is believing, when does the ability to lie end, and the liability begin?”
Open to all print, online/digital, broadcast (radio and TV) journalists, the Awards are a highlight on the journalistic calendar rewarding the exceptional work done by the country’s journalists in categories from investigative journalism to feature writing and lifestyle as well as a digital category that continues to grow.
The Awards reflect the importance of accurate and reliable as well as verified reporting in a world where fake news is a massive issue. They are also proof of the important role that the Fourth Estate plays in the country’s democracy.
The awards are open to all print, online/digital, and broadcast (radio and TV) journalists.
The categories are:
- Hard News
- Indigenous language reporting in community media
- Community Service Reporting
- Popular Journalism
- Investigative Journalism
- Business Journalism
- Visual Journalism (Editorial Cartoons/Graphic Layout)
- News Photographs
- Features Photographs
- Sports Photographs
- Manager/Publisher of the Year Award: Last year the Awards found a new home with SANEF which saw the launch of some new and exciting categories. This year a new and exciting category, The Manager/Publisher of the Year Award, rewards managers/publishers for their work. The entry for this is a motivation letter or proof of activities by peers in the industry.
- Juby Mayet Rising Star of the Year (Selected from the entries in the categories by the jury.)
- Journalist of the Year (Selected from the entries in the categories by the jury.)
- The Allan Kirkland Soga / Standard Bank Chairman’s Lifetime Achievement Award (previously the Allan Kirkland Soga: Achievement Award): Recognises a sustained and extraordinary contribution to newspaper journalism on the part of an individual and the winner will have demonstrated impeccable ethics and craft excellence.
Reggy Moalusi- Executive Director 071 682 3695 [email protected]
Hopewell Radebe- Projects Manager/ 083 582 1734 – [email protected]
Dzudzie Netshisaulu – Coordinator/Administrator 079 029 7656/ [email protected]